UPDATE ON CHANGES AHEAD FOR SCHOOL TRANSPORT
Use the bus to get to school? School term passes will be removed and some routes will be run by independent commercial service.
Runcimans school term passes are being removed. Snapper will not be available on some independent commercial services, including NZ Bus, from 30th September.
Find out more about school service changes. Click here for the updates.
Changes to Metlink school services from Term Three, 2018
Metlink are improving our region’s public transport network so that it will take more people to more places, more often.
From Sunday, 15 July 2018, we've got some big changes to public transport in Wellington, which means from Term Three, 2018 there will be changes for school students using Metlink buses and trains in Wellington city and surrounding suburbs.
If your students use public transport to travel to and from school, they need to know about changes to fares and tickets for Metlink trains, buses and harbour ferries from Sunday, 15 July 2018, ahead of the start of Term 3.
Our new Metlink lemon and lime buses, including electric double-deckers, are on their way to Wellington city, but not all at once. Please remind your students to check the route number and destination, rather than the colour of the bus, before they get on-board.
Changes to how students pay to get to and from school
- If you use a Mana/Newlands card to pay for school bus travel. From Sunday 15 July 2018, Snapper will be the only card accepted on Metlink public and school buses in the Wellington region. So from the start of Term 3 on 23 July 2018, Snapper will replace all Mana/Newlands cards on Metlink school buses in Wellington city.
- We want to make this change as easy as possible for you, so we’ll give you a new replacement Snapper card for free and if you want to pay by cash, you still can.
- Read more about how to get your free replacement Snapper card.
- School term passes are being discontinued
From Sunday 15 July 2018 all school students will receive a 50% discount on the equivalent adult fare.
- If you use school term passes on buses, these will continue to be accepted until the end of Term 2, Friday 6 July 2018.
- From the start of Term 3, Monday 23 July 2018, school term passes will be discontinued and students using Metlink services will need to pay using a Snapper card with a Child Concession for Metlink buses, or use Metlink rail 10-Trip Tickets and Monthly Passes on trains.
Paying for travel on Metlink trains
- From Sunday 15 July 2018, all school students will receive a 50% discount on the equivalent adult fare.
- Tickets and passes for Metlink trains will be zone-based, allowing you to travel anywhere within the zones you pay for.
- In Term 3 students can pay for rail travel with Metlink 10-Trip Tickets and two new monthly passes that replace the Metlink Monthly Rail Pass.
- The Metlink Rail Monthly Pass allows travel within particular zones. It’s for all regular Metlink rail customers.
- The Metlink MonthlyPlus Pass allows travel on trains to and from Wellington Station, plus on any bus within zone 4 and the outer zone specified on the ticket. It’s for all Metlink customers who regularly use train to travel to and from Wellington Station and need to connect to a bus outside zones 1 to 3.
- You can buy these passes in July 2018 for use from 1 August 2018 online or from retail outlets. Please note: rail tickets (except for the rail on-board cash ticket for a single trip) will be based on zones rather than stations.
School service changes – Wellington city
A number of school bus services in Wellington city are changing from the start of Term 3 on 23 July 2018.
Metlink public bus, train services and harbour ferries
From Sunday 15 July 2018, we’re also making changes to Metlink public buses, trains and harbour ferries in Wellington city. Please refer to www.metlink.org.nz/wellingtoncity for information about these changes.
If there are specific arrangements you have with the current operators relating to afterschool pick up operations, such as managing the buses on school grounds, please contact us at email@example.com
Please visit our website www.metlink.org.nz/on-our-way, call us on 0800 801 700 or firstname.lastname@example.org.