Code of Practice & Student Health

When students from other countries come to study in New Zealand, it is important that those students are well informed are safe and properly cared for.


Wellington College is a signatory to the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the Minister of Education. Copies of the Code are available on request from this institution or from the New Zealand Ministry of Education website at  For a summary in your language please follow the link below.

The Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students

Wellington College holds several copies of the Code that specifically outline the schools responsibilities and documents.  Please let the international office know if you would like to receive a digital copy.

If you have a complaint you are encouraged to contact the international office. If together we can’t solve the complaint please use the following link.

Immigration: "Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at

Health services: Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. However,  in most situations the students medical insurance will cover medical expenses. Full details are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website

Health Services in school: During orientation students meet the school nurse and learn about accessing the school medical centre.  Students are also introduced the school counsellors who provide care for students on a booking system for everything from support for study stress to mental health and addiction support.

  • Wellington College Nurse Robyn Peterson: Phone: 802 2520 ext 865.  Email
  • Wellington College Counsellors: Please email Lyndon Coppin at or Jane Gray at for an appointment or support. Alternatively you could phone or text Lyndon on 022 015 0877 or Jane on 022 016 1774 during school hours - or leave a message.

Wellington Accident and urgent medical centre is located just 200 meters from the school gate

Medical and Travel Insurance: International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand.  Most students choose to have the school organise their insurance. A network of staff and facilities including an International Office, International Student Centre, Homestay Manager, guidance counsellors, Deans and liaison staff provides extensive support for student's welfare and needs.

For non-emergency situations Wellington College can book an appointment at the Central Wellington Medical Centre.  The Medical Centre offers our international students a discounted rate of $40 per visit which is usually repaid along with any treatment expenses to the student through their travel and health insurance.