Lumen Accipe et Imperti - Receive The Light And Pass It On
Wellington College Old Boys' Association
PO Box 16073, Wellington NZ 6242
Telephone: +64 4 802 2537
The Wellington College Old Boys’ Association community flourishes and extends far beyond the school years. When students leave school, they become an on-going part of our community through the Old Boys’ Association (WCOBA). The WCOBA hosts regular functions and reunions and many of our alumni keep in close contact with their friends from school – even 60 and 70 years later. The Association focuses on encouraging all leavers to maintain links with the school and with one another. The WCOBA conducts a number of social and fundraising functions during the year. Year group reunions are held and are extremely popular with former classmates, who appreciate the opportunity to catch up with old friends.
The WCOBA is one of the strongest alumni organisations in New Zealand with 32,000 recorded Old Boys and current contact of around a third of them. With a thriving reunion and events programme, we are proud of the strength of the support between the WCOBA and the Wellington College community that exists. Like any group of great diversity, our Old Boys display a wide range of ages (from those who attended the school in the 1920s to those who graduated last year), backgrounds and interests. Their careers and achievements since they left the College have taken them all in different directions to the far reaches of the globe but still they share their association with Wellington College.
The Association has an elected executive and many Old Boys have given distinguished service to the WCOBA Executive as members. The WCOBA contributes annually to scholarships and provides financial assistance for building projects.
Every student who exits the College automatically becomes a member of the WCOBA. By becoming a Life Member, your subscription assists the Association’s endeavours to support the College, subsidise reunions and events and publish the annual WCOBA magazine, The Lampstand. Being a Life Member of the Old Boys' Association provides many benefits including a membership certificate and Old Boys’ Lapel Pin, the annual Lampstand and special invitations to functions.
The WELLINGTON COLLEGE OLD BOYS’ ASSOCIATION was founded to:
- Further the interests of the College and its past and present members and keep former students in touch with each other and with the school.
- Maintain a register of names of all who have passed through the College since 1867 and endeavour to record the addresses of all those alive.
- Arrange reunions and other functions for Old Boys.
- Where needed, support current students at the College.
These aims are met by the Association undertaking the following tasks:
- Produce The Lampstand and similar publications each year, covering activities of Old Boys and other relevant information.
- Maintain a computerised database giving details of all Old Boys of the College including teaching staff. This includes addresses where known. The Executive Officer will release addresses to bona fide Old Boys but will not allow any access for commercial purposes.
- Provide financial support for College activities including sport and cultural activities, sponsorship and academic prizes as well as supporting the Archives.
- Organise various reunions and other social functions either at the College, nationwide or internationally for Old Boys which the Association wishes to encourage and extend.
- Administer charitable funds managed by the Association for current and past students including assistance with fundraising appeals.
The WCOBA is your Association. We look forward to your participation in the life of the WCOBA. It is by making the effort to stay in touch we can all be sure that an education at Wellington College truly does last a lifetime.
Please click here for the words to the 'School Song' Forty Years On.
We are also on Facebook. Look for Wellington College Old Boys - Click Here.
To maintain contact with the Old Boys, a register of names and addresses is kept at the College and requires constant updating. Any information regarding a change of address or the whereabouts or activities of any Old Boy is welcomed and should be forwarded to the Executive Officer, WCOBA. Telephone (04) 802 2537 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please update your details by completing and returning this form.
Latest News from the WCOBA: Click Here